Sometimes, no matter how much you and your spouse care about each other, you end up growing apart. Other times, a specific incident drives a wedge between you that you just cannot get past no matter how hard you try. Moments such as these may have you wondering if your marriage is headed for a divorce.
The signs that divorce is imminent may be big and bold. Explosive arguments or broken trust can quickly bring a marriage to an end. Sometimes, however, the signs are more subtle and take place over extended periods of time.
Signs you shouldn’t ignore
There are usually some signs along the way that point toward the problems in the marriage. These include:
- Unhappiness or an overwhelming feeling of disappointment. When you and your spouse were newlyweds, you looked forward to a lifetime of happiness together. Lately, however, that feeling has changed.
- Financial disputes. One of you is a spender and one of you is a saver and you do not agree on a budget no matter how hard you try.
- Feelings of resentment or contempt. We all have moments when we resent our spouse. However, you may be heading straight for a divorce if you constantly feel that way,
- Inability to have a civil conversation. No matter what you do, the two of you always end up pointing fingers and having a shouting match.
- You avoid each other. You used to look forward to spending the evening with your partner. Now, you stay late at work to avoid spending too much time with them.
- You live like roommates. There’s no longer any intimacy shared between you. You both sleep in separate rooms.
There’s a lot to process when you decide to file for divorce and you should not try to do this alone. If you recognize yourself and your partner on this list, make sure you consider all of your options.